This is an email from a parent whose 4th grade child is on a free lunch program and did not have a computer at home. Her daughter just received a Net Literacy computer so that she could complete homework assignments.
I wanted to let you know what was on my computer. I have to say my computer came with everything a person could need to get started.
• It had OpenOffice.org which is a free office software that does everything Microsoft Office does including databases and you can save files in just about any office format.
• It also had AVG 9 Free Version, which is antivirus software. You can advise parents that there is an updated version called AVG2011 Free version available at download.cnet.com.
• the operating system is Windows XP, and IE 8.
• The RAM is 512, which the minimum to run XP effectively. I opened mine up and found that the RAM can be increased to above 700. In otherwords, it’s fast but you make it zoom.
• Another plus is if you live in an area with free wi-fi, there is space to insert a wi-fi pc card or you use a UBS adapter to connect to the internet depending on how comfortable you are with taking a computer apart. Its a great machine.
• Net Literacy really hooked it up! Thanks !