2015 Youth Leadership Competition for Carmel Clay School Students Speaking Out for Internet Safety
Dear CCS Community,
Carmel Clay Schools and Net Literacy are hosting an Internet Safety Contest for CCS students. Two winners will be selected to each star in their own professionally produced 30 second public service announcement (PSA) performing their scripts. The contest is open to students in all grades and is sponsored by Bright House Networks.
Become a “TV Star” just like these two winning CCS students…with lights, camera, action!
Students should submit a one-paragraph script describing what they would say to others about internet safety. The following questions can be used as writing prompts for the contest:
• How can you protect your personal information and privacy when you are online?
• What can someone who sees a friend or classmate being cyberbullied do to help?
• What are some of the ways that you can enhance your “net reputation” and why is this important when applying for a job or a competitive college?
• What advice would you give to a friend about how to have fun while being safe when visiting a chatroom or using social media?
• What are some of the most important safety tips that you would tell a younger brother or sister who is beginning to use email?
• If someone is cyberbullying you, how can you effectively respond?
• How could your “net reputation” be affected and what could be the consequences if you post embarrassing pictures or blog mean or hateful things?
• If your friend is engaging in cyberbullying, how can you stop your friend and why should you stop him/her?
• What are your thoughts about a classmate who you see reaching out to be kind to someone who was cyberbullied or who is publicly telling a person to stop cyberbullying?
Entries should be emailed to [email protected] and include: student name, school, grade, name of the student’s teacher, name of parents and one parent’s email address.
In the email subject, please include: “Carmel Clay Students for Safety at (the name of your school).”
Essay Submission Deadline: October 16, 2015
Two winners will be selected and each will star in their own professionally produced 30 second public service announcement (PSA) performing their scripts. The PSAs will then air on Bright House Network’s cable channels during 2016 and be posted on SafeConnects.org and Net Literacy’s YouTube Channel.
• Entries must come from a CCS student in good standing.
• Entries should be creative, engaging, empowering, and positive.
• Email entries must include: student name, school, grade, name of the student’s teacher, name of parents and one parent’s email address.
• There is a submission limit of three entries per student.
• Must be student’s original work.
• Winners will be notified via email to their parents.
• The winning students and their parents must complete a personal appearance liability release.
• PSAs will be shown during 2016.
Carmel Clay Schools and Net Literacy